Religion...and the discussion of it

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

aspen
Standard
Standard

Religion...and the discussion of it

Post by aspen » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:26 pm

Okay, so this is the place to discuss all forms of religion. Feel free to express yourself in anyway you feel.
First, I want to further clarify what I said in the "What are giving up for Lent" thread. I think the topic of religion should be kept under control in one location. Religion is the most difficult topic to have a discusison on. Each and every person has his/her views and opinions on it. And when I said "act like you know what you're talking about," I'm saying that there is more out there than any human being could mentally comprehend. I don't pretend to know everything...not even close. I have my beliefs, and that's all that matters to me. So, as you reply to each others opinions, remember to respect each persons beliefs. No one person is right and no one person is wrong, because we are all different.

I don't wish to discuss my beliefs here, because I do not feel like it. However, it is obvious that this topic is something that wants to be discussed, so I created this thread to have a place for that.

So...have fun! :wink:

On a note: I am not saying anything bad about what anyone said in the other thread, nor am I calling anyone one dumb, or illiterate.

UberAvonDancer
Standard
Standard

Post by UberAvonDancer » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:41 pm

Religion, sex, and politics, the three things you shouldnt talk about in public. One down, two to go!! Prepare for my 2 cents.

My stance on religion is very mixed. I would love to be able to believe in a higher, loving power. But I have seen, and been through things that make that very hard for me. I've studied the three major religions (Islam, Judiasm, and Christianity) a little. So let me make it clear, I am not, nor will I ever claim to be, completely knowledgable about any religion. My beliefs fall mostly under Agnostic. I believe every religion has some small part thats correct, and only by find all those parts can the truth be uncovered. An open mind, an open heart, and an open soul. I listen to all religions. I may disagree strongly with the message of that religion, but I'll listen. So I think having an open mind, and being able and willing to accept change, is the key. Just to tie all this back in to religion, I do think God exists. But not the truly all loving God. I think God created the universe as nothing, and then sat back and said 'Lets see what happens'. Did that make any sense? I dont think so, but thats what I believe.

andyisntemo
Standard
Standard

Post by andyisntemo » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:29 pm

Ah- I love talking about religion with people who respect it!
Personally, I'm a Christian- I chose to be that way, but I'm not going to put down any atheists or muslims or anything (they DO make up half my friends after all).
I personally don't believe everything they say at church (ex. I don't think being gay is wrong), but I do believe in the basic Christian beliefs...so I guess that makes me my own denomination?
A Song:
Yay for siggys
there's an anime character name shiggy
well really his name is shigure
something that rhymes with Shigure

YES!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:43 am

This will be the only post I make in this thread.

dancing queen iu
Standard
Standard

Post by dancing queen iu » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:25 am

I believe something created this universe. That is all.
I'm IndyDDR's Favourite #1 Bitch

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:42 am

UberAvonDancer pretty much summed up my stance on religion. There is a bit of truth in every religion, and there are a lot of lies in all of them as well. by keeping an open mind, and listening, you can sort out what you really believe to be true. And, as much as the main religious faiths seem to hate each other, there are a lot of similarities.
I believe in god, but not god as is written in the bible exactly. That being said, it doesn't mean I like god, but I believe in him, or her if you will (that concept makes more sense to me, but it's really irrelivent in the scheme of things.)
On religious texts in particular, most of them are hundreds upon hundreds of years old, and were written in a time when people were very superstitious, and were known to exagerate facts to try and explain things, or to make a point. I try to keep this in mind when reading anything like the bible, or any other text of that sort. There are truths, and there are exagerations of the truth, and there are superstitions, and there are lies. There are good messages in the bible, however. I don't look at it as the truth as it happened exactly, but more or less an exageration of events in history, that are written to prove a point. A fable, or a moral of the story, if you will.
If you look at it like that, and not as 'this is exactly what happened, the bible doesn't lie!' you'll have a much easier time getting along with people of different faiths and upbringings, and have a more open mind.

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:28 am

Well, I'm not Christian, but I'm not Jewish or Islamic either, and I'm not Atheist by any means. Maybe I'm a Scientologist? ... Nah.

I think I'm pretty much Agnostic. I kinda believe there's a god of some variety, but there're so many religions around the world with so many devout followers, I find it hard to subscribe to just one of them. So, I just prefer to believe that "Sure, some divine power is up there and had a hand in the creation of the universe, but hell if I know who or what it is."

I will say that I'm a growing fan of Taoism and Confucianism, though. We've been studying those in my Modern East Asian Civilization course. Confucianism basically places emphasis on learning from history, acting proper, and filial piety. There's very little mysticism involved in it as well. Taoism basically says what happens happens, and for every swelling of bad in life there's an equal swelling of good in return, a never ending ebb and flow between them. The ultimate goal being, of course, absolute neutrality. No excess of good or excess of bad, just normal. Not a bad way of thinking, methinks. Of course, they believe everything comes from a universal life source comparible to The Force from Star Wars (as my professor so eloquently put it). A tad wonky, but I could rally behind that flag perhaps.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:30 am

I dont even believe that there is a higher force... My parents consider me catholic.. because thats what they are... and all that fun stuff.. but i feel that i dont have the knowlage of the religion, or other religions to decide on what religion i would like to follow...

I would rather not blame God for what happens... nor would I wish to him. I belive in the Big Bang Theroy, and it makes sense to me.. but the thought of there being a God, or a higherforce, it is just pointless (in my mind) to consider it.

And if God was so great, then why would he want everyone to worship him and no-one else? I mean, he says that if you don't go to church every Sunday then you are going to hell. He says that if you work on Sunday, you are going to hell. He says if you are gay, you are going to hell. Shouldnt God love all his children, and not just the few who follows his every command?

Gumby
Standard
Standard

Post by Gumby » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:40 am

I've spent several years being pretty much atheist. The idea of a Creator did not appeal to me at all. I believed in statistical chance and evolution.

When I was younger, I did believe in God, but I never liked the idea of churches and following the Bible because what are these but man made things. Yes supposedly the Bible was written by God through the hands of man, but in the end, it was a man's hands writing words on a paper. A church is a manmade structure where I'm supposed to go and listen to a guy explain to me what my God wants because supposedly he is closer to my God than I was? I didn't like that idea. That guy up there is just as human as me. I believed that you should be able to believe in God and be close to him in your own way, and lead a good life without any church system. I don't need a church and a bible to tell me not to be an A-hole to people. Self respect and respect of others just seems more like common sense than divine mandate.

But like I said, I later gave up on the idea of religion at all and turned solely to believing in science to explain everything. But lately, I've come to doubt my scientific paradigm a bit, and I'm starting to revert back to my line of thinking as a child. I am much more open to the possibility that there is a God and POSSIBLY an afterlife, but I doubt i would ever feel comfortable in any church system, which basically makes me an outcast in the relgious world... At least according to the churches.
I don't fear death; I fear not living.

Ryan Dognaux
Standard
Standard

Post by Ryan Dognaux » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:55 am

I believe in a higher power - too much stuff happens that cannot be explained otherwise. However, I don't feel I really have a specific religion and I probably won't for quite some time. I think I'll just wait until I get married someday, and go w/ the religion of my spouse. Unless she's Mormon :x
Ryan Dognaux
My Life

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:57 am

Ryan Dognaux wrote:Unless she's Mormon :x
That was by far the funniest thing I have ever read.
Go you. :D

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:10 pm

I could write volumes on religion (and those of you who are long-time forum members know I already have :) ) But rather than bore everyone again let me offer some words of advice, which would apply to any of these 'controversial' topic threads.

By all means, don't be afraid to admit that you don't have all the answers. Keep an open mind; question absolutely everything. The older I get, the stronger my own beliefs become, and I'm not at all sure that's a good thing...

Ebola Gay
Standard
Standard
Location: Outside your bedroom window, cleverly hidden by shrubs.

Post by Ebola Gay » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:31 pm

letshavetea wrote:I mean, he says that if you don't go to church every Sunday then you are going to hell. He says that if you work on Sunday, you are going to hell. He says if you are gay, you are going to hell. Shouldnt God love all his children, and not just the few who follows his every command?
I'm pretty sure the Bible doesn't say any of that. Next time somebody tells you that, ask 'em what passage says that. Sure, God may not LIKE any of that stuff, but they're by no means Hell-worthy.
Signatures sure are awesome.

built-to-spill
Standard
Standard

Post by built-to-spill » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:30 pm

God did say something about homosexuals going to hell.

(This is taken directly from Galatians)

"The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God"

I think if you believe that God just created the universe and sits back and doesn't really care what happens that makes you a Deist. Most of our founding fathers were Deists.
Steve Fletcher

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:32 pm

built-to-spill wrote:God did say something about homosexuals going to hell.

(This is taken directly from Galatians)

"The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God"
I see no direct reference to homosexuality or hell in this passage.