The idea for a big get together

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:03 pm

XxJennaxX wrote:the park we started at was a park in avon by the baseball park and haunted bridge, but i forget what it's called. we eventually travelled to plainfield to hummel park.
Thanks Jenna. I knew it was an "H" name. Hummel Park. It's free, it's decently big enough, and no one's going to give us any grief. Plus, who needs shelters? We plan for a day when it's nice outside. Sun, people. Fresh air. It won't kill you.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:52 pm

Spazz wrote:
XxJennaxX wrote:the park we started at was a park in avon by the baseball park and haunted bridge, but i forget what it's called. we eventually travelled to plainfield to hummel park.
Thanks Jenna. I knew it was an "H" name. Hummel Park. It's free, it's decently big enough, and no one's going to give us any grief. Plus, who needs shelters? We plan for a day when it's nice outside. Sun, people. Fresh air. It won't kill you.
You're right, I must lose this nasty habit of allowing for preferences which might diverge from my own.

Anyway, it looks like Hummel is in the vicinity of Indy, so that might work out. I have no idea whether it has volleyball equipment, but we can always bring our own (assuming I'm not the only one who's interested).

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:07 pm

Arka wrote:
Spazz wrote:
You're right, I must lose this nasty habit of allowing for preferences which might diverge from my own.

Anyway, it looks like Hummel is in the vicinity of Indy, so that might work out. I have no idea whether it has volleyball equipment, but we can always bring our own (assuming I'm not the only one who's interested).
Well, the reason I'm not going along with your plan... is because you have to have reservations for the place a YEAR IN ADVANCE. The pools cost money, the golf costs money, and the shelter costs money.

Hummel? Free. They've got playground equipment, HUGE soccer/ultimate frisbee fields, basketball courts, hiking trails... everything we could need. We bring a grill and some food, we're set.

No offence... but I don't have money to toss in on an outting besides gas money and maybe some food/drink money.

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:10 pm

Spazz wrote:
Arka wrote:
Spazz wrote: Thanks Jenna. I knew it was an "H" name. Hummel Park. It's free, it's decently big enough, and no one's going to give us any grief. Plus, who needs shelters? We plan for a day when it's nice outside. Sun, people. Fresh air. It won't kill you.

Well, the reason I'm not going along with your plan... is because you have to have reservations for the place a YEAR IN ADVANCE. The pools cost money, the golf costs money, and the shelter costs money.

Hummel? Free. They've got playground equipment, HUGE soccer/ultimate frisbee fields, basketball courts, hiking trails... everything we could need. We bring a grill and some food, we're set.

No offence... but I don't have money to toss in on an outting besides gas money and maybe some food/drink money.
Yea a lot of us are strapped for cash. And if I remember correctly there are volleyball nets. And we tried to play volleyball...with a basketball or a bouncy playground ball. Either way, it hurt like effing hell. So if you could provide a volleyball, I believe that is all the equipment we need for volleyball play.

I vote for Hummel park, OR a park that is like Hummel park. Free, has random stuff to do, and in a pretty central location.
ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:05 am

Spazz wrote:
Arka wrote:
Spazz wrote: Thanks Jenna. I knew it was an "H" name. Hummel Park. It's free, it's decently big enough, and no one's going to give us any grief. Plus, who needs shelters? We plan for a day when it's nice outside. Sun, people. Fresh air. It won't kill you.

Read again. Reservations MAY BE MADE up to a year in advance... that's what "a year to date" means. You can call to confirm that if you like. Yes, their writing is unclear, but no, you do not need prior reservations just to show up and have a good time. If you don't want to spend money beyond that put out for gas, don't go to the pools or the golf course or any of those places - do any of the numerous other things people will doubtless feel like doing at the time, or take advantage of the courts that they have available for free.

All that said, if Hummel has good hiking trails, I'd rather go there anyway, though I suspect I'll be disappointed. 8) (Nothing personal, Indiana, but you'll never compare to the Olympic Mountains.)

In any event, since you seem to feel really passionate about the subject and no one really dislikes Hummel (going once... going twice), I have no problem with it. Got any driving directions or do I need to make another Google run?

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:05 am

Arka why do you always try to make some rude remark to try and up your self esteem? Its apparent your idea isn't flying, nor is it convienant for anybody on the boards. The point of this isn't go go golfing or swimming with indyddr, its to hang out. The point is to hang out with out spending money. To go have fun without spending money.

Here's an idea, why don't you leave your mindless banter out, since we have done this plenty of times before without you. I'm sure the bigboys can handle it without your snide comments about Indiana's hiking trails.

Because the Olympic Mountains make you soooooooo coooool :roll:

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:21 am

Casey: You're right, I'm sorry. It was rude of me to mention the Olympic Mountains in front of you. :(

But don't worry, I'm sure your Mom & Dad will let you leave Indiana someday. 8)

On-tangent (or on-topic?): this is the park's webpage, for those who are as Google-lazy as I am and may not have encountered the place before. It's a bit out of date ('05), but the park itself sounds promising.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:45 am

CaseyDidder wrote:Its apparent your idea isn't flying, nor is it convienant for anybody on the boards. The point of this isn't go go golfing or swimming with indyddr, its to hang out. The point is to hang out with out spending money. To go have fun without spending money.
I could walk there. :P

Just for the record (and not an attempt to sway this plan one way or the other), Forest Park is a pretty nice place with plenty of free stuff to do. In fact, they usually have a nice summer concert series where they'll bring in a band for a free concert. I went last year to see a Beatles tribute band. It was fun and I won a t-shirt and an insulated lunch bag.

The park also has nice paid facilities as well, but I haven't utilized any of them to be able to comment much further beyond simply stating that I've seen that they are there.

That said, Hummel Park was also quite nice. My only request if someone is organizing this is that you shoot for a weekend and start during the day. I agree that sunlight would be nice.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:10 am

Thank you. My ability to discuss the contents of the park is inhibited by the fact that when I visited it was generally as part of a company picnic (which many corporations seem to hold there), so I wasn't sure how much entertainment was provided by the company and how much was unrelated.

I also haven't really utilized the paid facilities, unfortunately, but I have heard that they're nice.

Anyway, as I said, I don't have a vehement preference.

Tangent toggle: Beatles for life. 8)

Ottop
Standard
Standard

Post by Ottop » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:55 am

I go to Forest Park on an almost daily basis, so I figured I can tell everyone what they want to know.

Forest Park is a free park located on the West side of Highway 19 in Noblesville, Indiana. The park contains many activities that can keep a mind occupied including...

Skatepark, Basketball court, Tennis court, Swimming pool, Golf Course, Shelters all over, bathroom facilities, Playground equipment out the ass, trails for walking (not hiking), Concession stands (located in the golf shop), Historical Transportation Museum (Trains and such), And much more.

I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10.

The only thing that could make the park better would be strippers and herb. Yeah.
I love everyone and all... but fuck off.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:04 am

Ottop wrote: The only thing that could make the park better would be strippers and herb. Yeah.
Yeah, but those would prolly cost extra anyway.
:P

-Dan

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:20 am

If Forest park is free to non-residents, then I'd be up for it. Might just go and check it out this weekend if I've got some spare time.

If it's got enough room and things for us all to do/hang out around, then it's more than doable and not that much more of a drive for most of us. They're website is just really, really misleading... if it's a free park with just some extras, well, then I'm all for it.

Although, Arka... we could do without comments about how you're going to be dissapointed with other people's choices. Gives us the impression that you're a stuck up bitch :roll:

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:39 pm

forest park sounsds alright. nwo we need to check it out and maybe set a date.
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:50 pm

I'm sure I can shuttle the Bloominton crew. Unless we're too busy with our girlfriends or cooking.

*cough riot merk cough*

-Dan

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:49 pm

Spazz wrote:If Forest park is free to non-residents, then I'd be up for it. Might just go and check it out this weekend if I've got some spare time.

If it's got enough room and things for us all to do/hang out around, then it's more than doable and not that much more of a drive for most of us. They're website is just really, really misleading... if it's a free park with just some extras, well, then I'm all for it.
I didn't find it misleading, but I suppose for people who've not been there it would be more problematic. I should have addressed the issue in my first post.
Spazz wrote:Although, Arka... we could do without comments about how you're going to be dissapointed with other people's choices. Gives us the impression that you're a stuck up bitch :roll:
Just trying to fit in.* <ducks!>

Seriously, the fact that I would probably be disappointed with the hiking at Hummel does not mean there's anything wrong with Hummel, just that my hiking fetish probably shouldn't be taken into account when making a selection. I have no doubt that Hummel is probably a pretty cool place, and I'll drop by as soon as I get done with my current jaunt.

Also, I can probably give some people rides, but can't commit until we figure out what date this will be on. Let the bickering begin!

*Standard disclaimer: don't even BEGIN to try to take this seriously. You have been warned. :evil: