Is this moral?

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Is this moral?

Post by Green Tea » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:27 pm

So I purchased Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 a year ago from my school (Purdue). I reformatted my computer today and the product key did not work upon installation. I called up microsoft and they said they could do nothing about it since I bought it through the school. The school refuses to sell it twice to the same student. Now my morality question:

Is it immoral to download a pirated version of the EXACT same program which I LEGALLY own?
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:30 pm

Well you'd still participating in a black market that exists because people use it. That is to say that you are promoting piracy.

Fagulous
Standard
Standard

Post by Fagulous » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:32 pm

Old saying, "If you have to ask the answer is no."

But I doubt anyone would give a crap less if you downloaded a computer program, that everyone else is being a butthole to you about.

Even if it is technically wrong, I think you'll still get into heaven if you believe that sort of thing.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:39 pm

Do you still have the fancy hologrammed piece of paper that it came with? If so, that's your license to use that product under the terms outlined in the EULA. Check the terms of the EULA, but it's quite likely that you're still legally entitled to use it, in which case doing whatever it takes to get it working is fine. MS would of course rather you go out and buy it again, but they're the ones who set the terms, and anything that's a "gray area" like that they aren't likely to EVER go after legally.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:52 pm

I'm in somewhat the same situation in that I bought a legal copy of WinXP from Purdue, but I accidentally sat on the disc. I have no moral qualms about using a pirated copy now.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:42 am

if you actually care you can take the sleeve into the union and they'll replace it for you...i've gotten 4 copies of xp off them when i was at purdue

tsk tsk adam you should've known that you worked for resnet too!!
insert code compile execute return

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:35 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Well you'd still participating in a black market that exists because people use it. That is to say that you are promoting piracy.
Very good point, that is only strengthening piracy (I normally do not care about piracy, but this is microsoft).
Fagulous wrote:Even if it is technically wrong, I think you'll still get into heaven if you believe that sort of thing.
Thank the maker, I was afraid that piracy is one of the seven deadly sins :lol:
MonMotha wrote:Do you still have the fancy hologrammed piece of paper that it came with?
Unfortunately I do not. Purdue doesn't give the liscense with their software. (makes me wonder about their legitimacy :D). But maybe if I went to the union and showed them my sleeve and disc, they would give me it (I really don't know how i'm supposed to get it).
LikeableRodent wrote:I'm in somewhat the same situation in that I bought a legal copy of WinXP from Purdue, but I accidentally sat on the disc. I have no moral qualms about using a pirated copy now.
The only worries I have about using a pirated Office, is a possibility of a virus/spyware that may be attached to it. With most pirated software they at least have a small little bugger in there.
sam wrote:if you actually care you can take the sleeve into the union and they'll replace it for you...i've gotten 4 copies of xp off them when i was at purdue

tsk tsk adam you should've known that you worked for resnet too!!
I actually never knew that! that's really cool. So really, for everything I buy from them, I can just keep the sleeves and forget about the discs... does that still apply after you graduate?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:38 am

Green Tea wrote:I actually never knew that! that's really cool. So really, for everything I buy from them, I can just keep the sleeves and forget about the discs... does that still apply after you graduate?
Most of the licenses to even USE that stuff terminate upon your graduation from the school in question. Check the EULA. At the very least, I'm guessing the answer to your question is "no".
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:55 am

MonMotha wrote:
Green Tea wrote:I actually never knew that! that's really cool. So really, for everything I buy from them, I can just keep the sleeves and forget about the discs... does that still apply after you graduate?
Most of the licenses to even USE that stuff terminate upon your graduation from the school in question. Check the EULA. At the very least, I'm guessing the answer to your question is "no".
I was working at IUPUI when IU (which included IUPUI) first started its site license program with Microsoft. It was a really big deal at the time.

The terms back then (this was about a decade ago, so I don't know if the terms have changed) were that faculty, staff, and students were permitted to freely use Microsoft software from a rather complete list free of charge (beyond whatever IU was paying for the site license). There was a media duplication charge of $5 per disc if you needed media. However, you could share media with someone else covered by the license and still be in compliance.

The license for faculty and staff was revoked if they should leave the university. However, the license for students would continue past their graduation. A graduated student would not be covered by the site license for any new software after graduation but could continue to legally use any software they used as a student. This actually makes good sense as it would presumably create upgrade customers for them in the future.

But again, my information is old, may be outdated, and does not necessarily apply to any other schools.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:58 am

I just noticed that your question was one of morality rather than legality...

<_< >_> <_<

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:14 am

Ho wrote:I just noticed that your question was one of morality rather than legality...

<_< >_> <_<
Well enough though because all law is based on morality. (plato's republic, good book!)

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:19 am

Personally, I'd say do it...you legally acquired the program the first time, and if it wasn't for the damn key, you'd still own it.
I say download it.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:55 am

to put the EULA in a tl;dr form,

The software you purchase is only licensed while you're in school. If you drop out, it becomes illegal to own. When you graduate school it is considered fully licensed as a consumer. You still can't sell the software though. Bastards.
insert code compile execute return

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:54 pm

Green Tea wrote: I normally do not care about piracy, but this is microsoft.
So it's ok to steal from someone if they're extremely successful or not nice?

Just playing Devil's Advocate for a bit. :twisted:

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:47 pm

xK1 wrote:
Green Tea wrote: I normally do not care about piracy, but this is microsoft.
So it's ok to steal from someone if they're extremely successful or not nice?

Just playing Devil's Advocate for a bit. :twisted:
Modern day Robin Hood ;)