Valentine's day is a conspiracy!

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:01 am

Riot wrote:I didn't read any of it in the first place so my comment wasn't a response to anybody. I just figured most people would be whining about not having a girlfriend/boyfriend, thus hating V-day because of it.
In all honesty, I was looking *forward* to the first of (hopefully many) Valentine's Days unnoticed. Though the day wasn't as people- and nuisance-free as I'd hoped. :?

Does anyone have creative ideas on things to do with thoroughly unwanted carnations? :twisted:

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:12 am

Riot wrote:I didn't read any of it in the first place so my comment wasn't a response to anybody. I just figured most people would be whining about not having a girlfriend/boyfriend, thus hating V-day because of it.
Good.

That means you're one of the few intelligent people in this world.

But, of course, the majority probably exist on this fourm anyway. :lol:
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:09 am

The X wrote:
Good.

That means you're one of the few intelligent people in this world.

But, of course, the majority probably exist on this fourm anyway. :lol:
As big a fan as I am of IndyDDR, I feel obligated to point out that this is a statistical fluke. There are so few intelligent people in the world (I'm thinking ~42) that correlations in their [electronic] locations are easy to detect but ultimately meaningless.

On the flip side, statistical flukes can have interesting consequences: in ten years, the majority of intelligent people could be living in Reno, Nevada in the same apartment building... but they won't talk to each other, because they'll be posting on IndyDDR, which by this time will have transcended DDR and the state of Indiana to focus solely on being the premier intellectual playground of the world. (And Brian claimed IndyDDR was "unrelated" to IndyHub... hah.)

Even in the far future, though, IndyDDR will still have a subforum devoted to that hot new Bemani game, Theremin Theremin Revolution. And sometimes, among the threads about the physics of electromagnetic induction, people will actually talk about playing TTR. :P

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:15 am

Theramins are amazing.... I've only played one once, but it was an amazing experience.
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:55 pm

Green Tea wrote:Theramins are amazing.... I've only played one once, but it was an amazing experience.
Theremins are amazing. Which is why I'm content with my lot in life. I may still have no console gaming systems more recent than the original NES, but remember: the best toys are the ones you build yourself.

:D

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:23 pm

i built a theramin out of a box and some radio shack rabbit ears...and you can too!

but i lost the guide :(
insert code compile execute return

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:03 pm

sam wrote:i built a theramin out of a box and some radio shack rabbit ears...and you can too!

but i lost the guide :(
OK, if you're going to build a theremin out of to-hand parts, you really don't want rabbit ears... I haven't experimented much, but I have it on good authority that you want more sensitive antennas (especially for the volume control).

If you're really broken up about losing the guide, there's a fairly extensive collection of theremin plans at http://www.thereminworld.com/schematics.asp. Some of them are easily executed with a handful of components, others require detailed knowledge of electronics and EM reception, and still others require access to a PCB fabrication facility.

You may also wish to browse the rest of their site, but do so with a grain of salt: some of the technical information (both musical and electromagnetic) is substantially dumbed down and/or dubious to begin with.

I hear tell that there's a theremin webring, but I haven't checked it out much myself.

[/shameless theremin plug]

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:13 pm

nah...it's way dead now...the theramin was a neat idea but i have too much shit causing interferance in my room/house to ever have one :?

http://www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/
insert code compile execute return

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:57 pm

...I take back the comment about the majority of intelligent existing on IndyDDR. Lol. :p
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:48 am

The X wrote:...I take back the comment about the majority of intelligent existing on IndyDDR. Lol. :p
ROTFL. Is this in response to my tongue-in-cheek futurist speculation, or the ensuing conversation about theremins?

Because if you're dissing theremins, bewarned: I have a scary amplifier, and I can come play outside your window. Though I'd need to figure out where that is first. In the interim, insert insult about your typing ability here. :P

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:06 am

Nah. Actually, the whole thing started as a joke in the first place. :D

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:55 pm

The X wrote:Nah. Actually, the whole thing started as a joke in the first place. :D
Oh, so I don't get an excuse to give a break-of-dawn theremin concert like this guy?

Damn. I knew it was too good to be true.

[Edit: I feel I should explain that my response wasn't entirely serious either, just in case someone calls me on it.]

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:16 pm

I hate theramins! Come play outside my window!
Address: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC, VA.
Play it as loud as you can!!!
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:13 am

hascoolnickname wrote:I hate theramins! Come play outside my window!
Address: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC, VA.
Play it as loud as you can!!!
I sense a bit of latent hostility towards theremins, me, or both. :shock:

Nah, must just be my imagination. Road trip time! :lol:

Fluffyumpkins

Re: Valentine's day is a conspiracy!

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:22 am

Riot wrote:It's only a day of commerical love to those without someone to commerically love!
Hey Riot from 2006, nice typo.