Does anyone else hate Gamestop/EB Games?

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Does anyone else hate Gamestop/EB Games?

Post by sam » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:04 pm

It seems whenever these two chains assimilate a company, funco land, babbages, software etc etc they get shittier and shittier. the next new awesome policy by them is they don't give trade-in credit worth over the phone. They require you to bring in all merchandise for them to tell you.

WHAT THE FUCK?!

i mean seriously, do i really want to lug this huge ass guitar hero box to the mall just to find out i'm probably going to get $10 for it? i mean FUCK
insert code compile execute return

Fagulous
Standard
Standard

Post by Fagulous » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:24 pm

I knew someone that worked there.

They don't give you credit quotes over the phone, because by the time you get there, the amount of credit you'll be given might have changed, I'm sure they did it do avoid having customers say,"BUT YOU TOLD ME THIS OVER THE PHONE!!!"

Also I hate that the amount of credit they give you is nominal, you might only get $3.00 credit for a game they will mark up to $40.00. It is a buisness and profit is profit, but sheesh it seems a bit excessive. I only trade in games when I am truely sick of playing them.

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:13 pm

Yeah, fuck them.

Get this. I was going to sell them a few of my DVDs. I'd bought the four of them used, but totaled, I'd spent around $50 on all of them. So I go into the store to ask them how much I'd get out of selling them, and I found that they already had the same DVDs I was selling there. So, since I didn't have my own copies, I brought the others up to the counter to have them checked. The guy was like "$4.00." Each? Seeing as how much I'd spend on them, but that I was getting a box set, it seemed like a...less than fair, but alright price.

But was it $4.00 for each? NO. IT WAS $4.00 FOR ALL FOUR DVDS.

I don't know how at all anybody sees fit selling their games and DVDs back to these places. They don't give you shit for them...
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Does anyone else hate Gamestop/EB Games?

Post by Green Tea » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:31 pm

sam wrote:It seems whenever these two chains assimilate a company, funco land, babbages, software etc etc they get shittier and shittier. the next new awesome policy by them is they don't give trade-in credit worth over the phone. They require you to bring in all merchandise for them to tell you.

WHAT THE FUCK?!

i mean seriously, do i really want to lug this huge ass guitar hero box to the mall just to find out i'm probably going to get $10 for it? i mean FUCK
are you still selling it? because I'd consider purchasing that for a bit more :D might make it more worthwile then.

But yes, they ripped me off too. I traded in 12 games to get katamari damacy (a $19.00 game) a couple of my games which really weren't even that bad, they took for $0.25... $0.25 for a game is horrible.
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

Intermezzo
Standard
Standard

Post by Intermezzo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:58 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm just as sick of them as you all are. I once traded a Sega Genesis, around 30 games, and $20 for an old, scratched-up copy of Bloody Roar: Primal Fury at Funcoland. The game sucked, too, and the employees were assholes to my dad. (But not to me. I think they were surprized they got a chick in there or something.)

But on the bright side, they gave me a free Banjo-Kazooie plushie. :]

djfooboo
Standard
Standard

Post by djfooboo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:13 pm

I hate the obnoxious stickers they put on the games after you purchase them. Sometimes you end up ruining an otherwise perfect game getting the damn stickers off. TaQa can attest to my hatred of the stickers ;). It's amazing these pace still thrive as well as they do with the advent of the internet. I mainly just get video game stuff at real retailers, or buy stuff from private parties. Not video game craptacular stores.

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Re: Does anyone else hate Gamestop/EB Games?

Post by BakaOrochi » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:39 pm

sam wrote:It seems whenever these two chains assimilate a company, funco land, babbages, software etc etc they get shittier and shittier. the next new awesome policy by them is they don't give trade-in credit worth over the phone. They require you to bring in all merchandise for them to tell you.

WHAT THE FUCK?!

Actually I believe it's been their policy for years, but they never really enforced it. I remember asking them for a trade-in price a few years back, and they told me they couldn't. Basically said, uh, OK I've done it over the phone for how long, and you're too lazy to get off your @$$ and do that for me now? Fcuk you guys, taking my shi+ elsewhere.

That and 90% of the Gamestops I go to are staffed by complete retards.

I asked a GS about a few fairly popular PS2 games, Disgaea being one of them. OK, I could ALMOST understand that he doesn't give a shi+ about RPGs and doesn't know what I'm talking about, but then he said "oh yeah well the only games I know about is Madden."

Yeah. I almost said you're a fcuking moron, why are you working here, when another guy stepped in right away, and told me everything I needed to know.

This also isn't the first time I ran into employees who knew SHI+ about games (except for, like, Mario).

Unreal.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:42 pm

I bought a brand new computer game from them. BRAND F'IN NEW. Silent Hill 3, actually, back before I had my PS2. I took it home, and for some reason it wasn't compatible with my computer...specs were fine, but I couldn't get the damn thing to load. So, I decided hey, I'll just take it back, get some cash or credit for it...
3 DOLLARS. That's IT. I payed 40 for the damn thing, 2 days prior, and all they offered me was a lousy 3 bucks for it!

Fagulous
Standard
Standard

Post by Fagulous » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:05 pm

http://www.gamefly.com/

Has anyone used this service before? I guess it would be a pretty good service if you like to play a lot of different games. Hell most games only take a week at most to beat anyway.

$20 a month is hella cheaper than than dealing with most trade-in stores.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:28 pm

oh and if you go to the gamestop in bloomington view this site first before you go http://www.midwestmandy.com

i sold the game to my friend for $20 sorry grean tea...got a 360 controller...best pc game pad ever. now i just gotta get the ports of the 360 games and i'll have games tha tlook better then 360 on a shittier system...oh wai

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:15 pm

Pr0n? :D

Does she work there or something?

...roadtrip? :wink:

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:19 pm

sam wrote:oh and if you go to the gamestop in bloomington view this site first before you go http://www.midwestmandy.com
lololololololol'd

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:44 pm

sam wrote:oh and if you go to the gamestop in bloomington view this site first before you go http://www.midwestmandy.com
Oh, did she quit working at Fazoli's or something?

And of course they're going to rip you off on trade in value, they're a business, that's how they make most of their profits. When I worked at Babbage's we were told to push the used copies more than the new ones since our profit margins were much higher on them.

The easiest way to get around the shitty trade in prices is just to sell your stuff on eBay. You'll almost always get more for it over the internet. Heck, I bet putting your stuff in the Trading Post section here might not even be such a bad idea.

sam
Heavy
Heavy

Post by sam » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:54 pm

she's the manager :shock:

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:22 pm

Is she really? :D