What are you giving up for Lent?

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:03 pm

I don't have to, nor do I want to, but I have given up soda for my teeth's sake.

I have cavities for the first time since 1999. :oops:

^_^ So, no more soda for the Yume. Iced tea and water from now on, and fruit juice, too.

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:31 pm

Fruit juice isn't good for cavities, is it? I mean, it's loaded with as much sugar as soda. The only thing it doesn't have is the carbonation + caffeine combo.

I think it's the sugar that'll kill ya, Yume.
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

Ebola Gay
Standard
Standard
Location: Outside your bedroom window, cleverly hidden by shrubs.

Post by Ebola Gay » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:33 pm

I'm not Catholic, so none of this Lent stuff for me.

But, just for answering's sake, I'd probably give up anything that has to do with television and computers, because they're more of a crutch than anything.
Signatures sure are awesome.

TylerHHS
Standard
Standard

Post by TylerHHS » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:40 pm

I'm Lutheran, so no giving crap up for Lent.

If I had to though, it'd probably be masturbation. That, or the computer. Maybe my XBOX.

Nahh.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:45 pm

Christmas is not Jesus's birthday. It's merely the day set by the catholic church for the celebration of the birth of christ. Pagan's celebrated christmas as Yule, what used to be the winter solstace, and had been doing so long before christianity. The church saw this, and decided to set Christmas on Yule, so it would look like Pagans were celebrating the birth of christ, and not their own holiday. Many of the christmas traditions you associate with the birth of christ, the ones that dont have anything to do with christ, are most likely stemmed from the pagan holiday, and they just got jumbled together over time.
I forget the actual birth day of christ off hand, it was in spring or summer some time though.

sonykid753
Standard
Standard

Post by sonykid753 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:22 pm

im giving up homework :D
AAA's - 1
1. kind lady

SDG's - 17
17. sexy planet oni - 5
16. its raining men - 8
15. butterfly - 5

Gumby
Standard
Standard

Post by Gumby » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:57 pm

I'm not catholic, I'm not even Christian. But I think the idea of sacrifice for the betterment of oneself is something worth while. So i have given up masturbation for 40 days (good lord this is gonna be a looong 40 days).
I don't fear death; I fear not living.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:13 pm

Gumby wrote:So i have given up masturbation for 40 days (good lord this is gonna be a looong 40 days).
Didn't they make a movie about that?

MonMotha: Stating the obvious since 1985.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:48 pm

Gumby wrote:I'm not catholic, I'm not even Christian. But I think the idea of sacrifice for the betterment of oneself is something worth while. So i have given up masturbation for 40 days (good lord this is gonna be a looong 40 days).
no way in hell you will make it.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:56 pm

Joycelyn Elders should have never been fired...

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:22 pm

The one thing I don't like about lent is what happens after.

Many people go right back to say, drinking pop or "masturbating".

Giving up something for lent and then going right back to it really doesn't prove anything.

Sure, according to the Bible, Jesus was tempted by Satan in the desert for 40 days, giving up a little caffeine for a month isn't provin much.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:31 pm

SoDeepPolaris wrote:The one thing I don't like about lent is what happens after.

Many people go right back to say, drinking pop or "masturbating".

Giving up something for lent and then going right back to it really doesn't prove anything.

Sure, according to the Bible, Jesus was tempted by Satan in the desert for 40 days, giving up a little caffeine for a month isn't provin much.
Well, people who fast during Lent should certainly be allowed to eat food again afterwards :wink:
I think it all depends on WHY you're giving something up --- if you're giving up something that is bad for you or you feel guilty about, then yeah it's pointless just to go back to it.
But if you give up something for a while (such as food) just to try to prove a point or to see if you can, then that's different. It's like camping, you 'rough it' for a while, but no one gives you a hard time when you come back to your house (and shower, and TV, and heat, etc...)

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:38 pm

Original Sin wrote:Christmas is not Jesus's birthday. It's merely the day set by the catholic church for the celebration of the birth of christ. Pagan's celebrated christmas as Yule, what used to be the winter solstace, and had been doing so long before christianity. The church saw this, and decided to set Christmas on Yule, so it would look like Pagans were celebrating the birth of christ, and not their own holiday. Many of the christmas traditions you associate with the birth of christ, the ones that dont have anything to do with christ, are most likely stemmed from the pagan holiday, and they just got jumbled together over time.
I forget the actual birth day of christ off hand, it was in spring or summer some time though.
1.) Thank you and bless you.
2.) I think you wanted to talk about Easter, which also has many foundations in the same type of thing. ^_^

With Love,
~Your little Yume

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:46 pm

A good number of christian holidays were originally pagan holidays. And people wonder why pagans have been so pissed over the years? The church makes a mockery of our traditions and holidays, and then runs smear campaigns to make us look like satanists. Duh, no wonder they don't like the church. :wink:
For the lent thing, what Malictus said was pretty much was I was trying to get at. If you want to give up something to better yourself, or to prove you can, that's fine. Fast if you want, all that. But if you're just giving up something unhealthy so you can go back to it in a month, and just because it says to give something up, that's pretty pointless. A rule of thumb for religion: Never do anything just because it tells you to. Do it because you believe it will better you as a person, or help those around you who are in need. If you start following exactly what they tell you without thought, you're following the will of the church, not God. And history alone tells that the church doesn't always have the most holy of intentions, and God's will, and the will of the church, are not always one in the same.

BeatmaniacIIDX
Standard
Standard

Post by BeatmaniacIIDX » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:15 pm

I gave up beer. Now I just have to go to the hard stuff. Plus, I refuse to give up my masturbation rights.