What are you giving up for Lent?

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

CSystmRocks
Light
Light

What are you giving up for Lent?

Post by CSystmRocks » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:18 pm

I've decided to give up/commit to the following...

1. Give up caffeine
2. Start reading portions of the catechism
3. Give up desserts

so V Day won't have any chocolate for me...

Post what you are giving up/committing to...

G
"I'm gonna show you how to burn..."

GaKki
Standard
Standard

Post by GaKki » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:23 pm

Nothing. I don't believe in giving up things like that for myself. However, I due admire people who do because it shows you are strong enough to give up something you like (other wise giving that something up would be pointless, lol).Just my two cents.

Blacktop
Standard
Standard

Post by Blacktop » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:30 pm

Nothing, for on the Moon, we have advanced beyond Lent into depths that you couldn't possibly comprehend even with one hundred percent of your brain.

....Actually, I'm Jewish--so ha ha =Þ
I'm old now

Juwi bean
Standard
Standard

Post by Juwi bean » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:05 am

I no longer practice the Catholic religion...so I will not be giving anything up...

...if I had to though...I guess I'd prolly try to not masturbate or something (but I doubt that would ever happen. lol
:lol:
i am cute. my panda's bigger than your panda.
Avon Otaku

Ebola Gay
Standard
Standard
Location: Outside your bedroom window, cleverly hidden by shrubs.

Post by Ebola Gay » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:29 am

Juwi bean wrote:...if I had to though...I guess I'd prolly try to not masturbate or something (but I doubt that would ever happen. lol :lol:
*tear*
Signatures sure are awesome.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:38 am

Blacktop wrote:Nothing, for on the Moon, we have advanced beyond Lent into depths that you couldn't possibly comprehend even with one hundred percent of your brain.

....Actually, I'm Jewish--so ha ha =Þ
Also jewish. oy.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:43 am

I'm gonna give up on trying to not please myself. What am I thinking, honestly? :lol:

Gatekeeper
Standard
Standard

Post by Gatekeeper » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:17 am

I'm giving up Apache. That's right, for this Lent time only http://monban.no-ip.com (where that terrible flash linked in my signature is located) runs on IIS!

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:34 am

Nothing. I've worked hard for everything I have, and I intend to keep it. What few things I take joy in doing, I will do, because inevitably I will die, and on my deathbed I'll say "Gee, I wish I did..."
I was baptised catholic, though I was never confirmed, and don't plan to be. I've given up religion almost entirely. Not because I don't believe, but because I want to know the truth, and the truth cannot be biased.
So, give up what you like, but first think, 'why am I giving this up?' Don't do it because a book tells you to, do it if you think it'll make you a better person. That's why you give things up.

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:36 am

Juwi bean wrote:I no longer practice the Catholic religion...so I will not be giving anything up...

...if I had to though...I guess I'd prolly try to not masturbate or something (but I doubt that would ever happen. lol
Juwi...

NEVER, NEVER....

...give up Masurbating...

...You have no idea how happy the idea of girls masturbating makes me.

O 16581 72452 5
Standard
Standard

Post by O 16581 72452 5 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:10 am

Grubb wrote:
Juwi bean wrote:I no longer practice the Catholic religion...so I will not be giving anything up...

Juwi...

NEVER, NEVER....

...give up Masurbating...

...You have no idea how happy the idea of girls masturbating makes me.
Yo,

This deserves an emoticon unavailable on these boards.

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:43 am

Wow, disturbing.

Too bad lent isn't about just giving up something that doesn't matter to you, as opposed to giving up something that you hold close to you.

If I could give up anything, I'd give up sex, drugs, and baby killing!!!

Well.... *takes back the baby killing*

Not a Catholic or Jewlic or what the hell ever, though, so I suppose I'm ooookay.
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:50 am

umm... im a catholic i guess.. or atleast thats what im told :roll: but i dont really celebrate religious holidays (xmas and easter are different :P) well like.. ya know how everyone says "Christmass is about family and friends and giving!" ... well actually its about Crist's birthday... but nobody cares about that they care about hangin out with family and friends :) so thats why i think of xmas as more of a "social" holiday rather than a "religious" holiday

in other words... i dont give anything up for lent

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:03 pm

Yep, I feel about the same way about Christmas. I grew up and still live in a very Christian environment. And I don't have much against the people, it's just that I don't agree with a lot of it anymore. I still agree with many of the values taught, but not the spiritual reasons behind them or whatnot.

Either way, Christmas is always the most stressful time of the year for me. And it's not because I have to buy a bunch of presents. It's because I have to spend that time with my family. Like I said, I love them, but they get on my nerves hardcore.

Oh yeah, and did I mention that my grandma is just short of certifiably insane when it comes to religion? She bakes a cake every year and makes us sing Happy Birthday to Jesus.

This is the same grandma that sent me Jesus literature for a week after she found out that I read Harry Potter.
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:14 pm

yea i completely agree.. i grew up in a very christian environment my parents even made me go to St. Mary's school for k-5th grade... and i hated it there... i didnt like the idea of how "God" wants you to praise him every week on Sunday... (and at this school they made you go to school extra early on wednesdays so you could attend mass in the morning) and it doesnt make sense to me that if it is Jesus's birthday then why do we give presents to each other and not him?... ya know?.. it just doesnt make sense to me... but then again
MMR wrote:Oh yeah, and did I mention that my grandma is just short of certifiably insane when it comes to religion? She bakes a cake every year and makes us sing Happy Birthday to Jesus.
i think that might be a little much XP