Musicians Corner

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

IxI I skate IxI
Standard
Standard

Post by IxI I skate IxI » Wed May 17, 2006 10:55 am

I've been working on a 34 lately, I'm at 32 right now...with 107 out of 149 games won, so that's not bad. I think it's alright considering about 12 of the games I was modded/standbyed/teamstandbyed/mymompulledmyethernetcordandwelost.

If you wanna play TS sometime, then you know my GT, send me an invite.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Wed May 17, 2006 11:21 am

i'm a supple 22 year old male who enjoys strolls on the beach and books by warm fires. oh wait?
insert code compile execute return

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Wed May 17, 2006 2:26 pm

Damn you're lucky...you've only got cheated 12 times? Well, anyway, my friend has this trick that he does so he always gets host (not bridging). It's just to avoid getting cheated, and (lol) one time we got modded, and he standbyed em back, and we won. So yeah we only cheat if we're getting cheated. Lol the modder wanted my friend to go to his party and get host for him every game.

-Dan

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed May 17, 2006 2:43 pm

For the love of pete, please take it to the Halo thread.

But since I've posted here, I'll go ahead an chime in...

I took violin lessons in the fourth grade. In the second semester, our normal teacher had to go for some reason and was replaced with this guy who destroyed my spirit. He would yell at me for being flat (I think), but my hand was physically too small to reach certain fingerings. I couldn't help it! But he would scold me all the time for getting it wrong and I gave up. :(

I took organ lessons (which pretty much just amounted to keyboard/piano lessons) for about a year. I could play "It's a Small World." I still remember the melody to "When the Saints Go Marching In," but that's about all I've retained from that period.

In sixth grade I "accidentally*" joined the band. I ended up playing trumpet. I stuck with that through my freshman year of HS and really enjoyed marching band. I moved to a new school my sophomore year and was intimidated by the much larger marching band there, but a friend convinced me to do it in my junior and senior years. It turned out to be the highlight* (directly and indirectly) of my HS experience.

*both good stories...but I don't want to take the time to elaborate right now. Ask me about it sometime, if you care.

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

Post by the gattchoon » Wed May 17, 2006 4:08 pm

Ho wrote:I took violin lessons in the fourth grade. In the second semester, our normal teacher had to go for some reason and was replaced with this guy who destroyed my spirit. He would yell at me for being flat (I think), but my hand was physically too small to reach certain fingerings. I couldn't help it! But he would scold me all the time for getting it wrong and I gave up. :(
God, I hope his name wasn't Damien Ting. But it probably wasn't, because he is younger than you, I think, by a few years. Here is my tribute to him. Hope he finds it, since this is about the third place I've posted this:

I never took private lessons, really, until I got to Notre Dame this past year (and I loved my teacher... I hope I get her again next year). But yeah! So he comes in my sophomore year in high school and is on a total power hold... no doubt he was a very good musician, but sucked at being teacher! What a disgrace! (Because I'm studying to be a music teacher.) We fought and yelled at each other a lot, and I think all of DVHS's music program/students knew I hated him.

My hands are small, just like my feet and the rest of me... and I couldn't reach certain intervals when playing double-stops and 3- or 4-string chords, and he thought I just didn't practice enough so he was yelling at me, and I was like I can't do it, idiot. So he was like fine, and he was like then try and held on of my fingers in place while I tried to reach the other note with my pinky finger without moving the finger he held and I couldn't reach it.

I hate him, and I hate the fact that my hands are small because it doesn't let me do a lot of things with the violin as I'd like, comfortably and consistently. And then he suggested slitting the insides of my fingers. I told him he was sick.

There's more reason I have to dislike him, but that will go unmentioned. I still have playing at Carnegie Hall on him. Haha. =P

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Wed May 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Ho wrote:In the second semester, our normal teacher had to go for some reason and was replaced with this guy who destroyed my spirit.
Isn't that a requirement for violin teachers?

I took violin for a few years, and finally stopped when my teacher told me that there was no way anyone could be as poor at it as I was - I must be *trying* to be so bad. (And no, I wasn't trying, and had no excuse - I was, sadly, just that talentless at violin.)
Ho wrote:In sixth grade I "accidentally*" joined the band.
I have to know... :shock:

<PMized!>

But since I'm posting here anyway and Ho doesn't seem to be ready to elaborate anytime soon, I might as well babble about myself:

I play the oboe and flute fairly well (in my subjective opinion). I also sing - I'm a coloratura soprano, so I sing *strangely,* but I sing. I used to give [fairly elementary] private lessons and perform in these areas, but had to move to pursue other things, so I no longer have a studio.

I play the piano, violin and harp less well. This is particularly sad given that I've been playing piano for about seventeen years now (as opposed to... maybe ten for oboe). I guess I'd say I'm low performance-quality in these - I've performed at weddings and charity events, for instance, but I wouldn't give a full solo concert on any of them.

Curiously, I play the harpsichord and viola better than I play the piano and violin, despite having no lessons in the former and despite their strong resemblance to the latter. I hold this as proof that the Divine Conductor hates me and wishes I'd impale myself on my bow.

Mostly, nowadays, I compose music and write songs (not the same thing!). I play them on my crummy synth sometimes. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. (I used to be a horrible orchestra snob.)

I haven't played in an orchestra for a while; on the one hand, I miss the repertoire, the cameraderie and some of the rehearsal experience, but on the other hand, I don't miss having 50-100 instruments with 50-100 different intonations, varying only by a fraction of a cent. :wink:
the gattchoon wrote:And then he suggested slitting the insides of my fingers. I told him he was sick.
He was also severely misguided, apparently; if you slice into the ligaments they'll end up scarring, and scar tissue does not stretch the way undamaged tissue does. Here, have a virtual baton to stab him with. It always helps. :twisted:

IxI I skate IxI
Standard
Standard

Post by IxI I skate IxI » Fri May 19, 2006 10:52 am

I play the oboe and flute fairly well

WAT TEH HELL IZ A OBOOOE????///111

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri May 19, 2006 4:11 pm

Are you serious? omg.

-Dan