VEGAN THREAD is ressurected 4 lulz

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:01 pm

Why do you feel the need to fit cleanly into a label?
For your personal beliefs, you are opposed to the treatment of pigs, cows, etc., but not to the treatment of fish. You may not fit perfectly into a well-accepted category of "Vegan," but why should that matter?
You have your own reasons, so just do what you feel is best for you.
Nobody's going to think any more or any less of you (or if they do they're a douche-fuck) if you're a strict Vegan or just follow your own tailor-made diet.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:26 pm

Slaughter Houses have the highest turnover rate for employees... nobody can stand working there...

Also, BlackCat... you'll start noticing weird... ironys...

like... Over Christmas break I went down to my grandparents place... they live on the coast of Florida... AKA... a lot of fish places.

We went to this one restauraunt by boat... and on my way to my table I saw a sign that said "Fish Sanctuary" underneath that sign was a guy "cleaning" (aka... killing) a fish. Then we go inside and painted on the tables are these happy cartoony fish... I laughed and pointed out the irony just as my sister said "Oh that's cute" and pointed at the tables....

Almost every real restaurant has a veggie burger of some sort, and if they don't there's always salads and pastas and such.

When I started this, I didn't give up fish for a few weeks too, but.. I was able to part with them soon after finding all the alternatives to meat.

@ Danc, as much as I agree with you, she'll give up sushi soon enough lol. She'll feel guilty about eating Nemo after turning down a cheeseburger.

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:29 pm

malictus wrote:Oh, and I find it interesting that despite the negative publicity in general about meat and animal products, the last few truly serious food poisoning scares have been with purely vegetable products (spinach and peanut butter). Don't assume that non-animal and organic is necessarily safe....
Yeah I guess I don't really keep up with the news, although I remember the spinach at Olive Garden thing. But I've heard plenty of shit like people finding tumors in chicken at burger king and people getting salmonella as well. My brother got pretty sick from Wendy's chicken once :\

But heck, I don't expect to live a perfectly safe life. If I did I'd stay in my room all day (certainly never drive anywhere) and have bubble wrap around all the sharp edges and sanitize my spoons before eating :) Forget that.. I'll settle for general good health.
letshavetea wrote:Also... you said you made soup?... almost all canned soup has chicken or cow fat in it... Campbells Vegetable Soup, for example, has chicken fat in it.
I got the recipe straight from the book. Skinny Bitch is a lot of information on being a vegan, and Skinny Bitch in the Kitch is a complete vegan recipe book. So the soup was made with water and vegetable bullion.

Threw out propel today for having sucralose in it :(

Edit:

@ letshavetea: ideally we're only supposed to eat whole grain pasta, but i know better than to ask Katy to give up olive garden ;)

Gotta watch out for salads too cuz most dressings have dairy in them.
groovestats
<3 blackcat

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:35 pm

ya know... there are food pantry's and stuff that you could donate that food to while your at it.... :P

I was just gunna ask if you saw their cookbook. I've been meaning to pick up a vegetarian one, rather than pull stuff off the net....

I might pick this up though just for somethin different to try out.

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:38 pm

too late on the food pantries :oops:

yeah, i highly recommend it. And feel free to share any recipes you really like. I recommend tofu recipes over veggie chicken !
groovestats
<3 blackcat

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:12 pm

man i fuckin love meat

Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:16 pm

BigBadOrc wrote:too late on the food pantries :oops:
Yeah, I had to watch him throw away everything one by one...wondering how much each thing costed...

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:21 pm

letshavetea wrote:She'll feel guilty about eating Nemo after turning down a cheeseburger.
The lunch ladies at school have a weird sense of humor. Every Friday, fish sandwiches are served so the Catholics don't get all up in arms.

The lunch ladies take a Sharpie to each wrapper and give them a name, such as "Nemo, Nemo's Mom (who dies in the Disney flick), Moby Dick, Mr. Limpet, Jaws, etc."

Good story, Jeff.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:44 pm

go Mike and Katy!
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:02 pm

Potter wrote:man i fuckin love meat
i concur

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:19 pm

OrangeLounger wrote:
Potter wrote:man i fuckin love meat
i concur
I 3rd that

mmm...bulgoki :D~drools~:D

I will support you guys and cheer you on, and if you were to stop I would be one of the people to ask why and mean it. I respect all choices that people make in life (minus drugs and heavy drinking and gambling addictions). I fucking love meat, I could NEVER be a Vegan or a Vegetarian, tried vegetarian once, then went to chili's with my family and I got a black bean burger and my dad got boneless buffalo wings and I was like fuck those wings look good.....so that is when my 1 month vegetarianism ended.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:54 pm

BigBadOrc wrote:
malictus wrote:Oh, and I find it interesting that despite the negative publicity in general about meat and animal products, the last few truly serious food poisoning scares have been with purely vegetable products (spinach and peanut butter). Don't assume that non-animal and organic is necessarily safe....
Yeah I guess I don't really keep up with the news, although I remember the spinach at Olive Garden thing.
You'd be surprised how many of the vegetable problems that get out there are the result of water/waste/pollution coming from slaughterhouses and meat farms.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:40 pm

OrangeLounger wrote:Also, almost anything will cause cancer (or some other ailment) in extreme quantities, but it is a well known fact that bass cures cancer. This message has been brought to you by the DRA (Dub Research Association)
I didn't know you read that report!
BigBadOrc wrote:
Ho wrote:(BTW, it's not hard to dig up some pretty terrible horror stories regarding fishing practices that lead to your beloved sushi.)
Hm... I would actually be interested in seeing a few of these :( And while I am concerned about cruelty to animals, my main motivation behind not eating animal products is that it's just plain unhealthy. So if there was something out there that said sushi was unhealthy, well.. that would suck. I know the seaweed in it is incredibly good for you though !
All factory farms are similar in terms of treatment of animals, ones for fish included. 2 seconds on google, youtube, or the discovery channel should be able to give you enough information to be able to conclude for yourself whether these methods are cruel or not. Also, sushi doesn't always have fish. It should be pretty easy to cut that out of your diet(if you so choose)
blackcat wrote:I LOOOOVE LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVE animals. Whenever I go someplace new in the US or travel somewhere else, the first thing I find out is if they have a zoo. Zoos are seriously my favorite places to go. I love animals, I love everything about animals. Reading the Skinny Bitch book...they quoted really intense things about how cruel the slaughterers treat the animals....BEFORE they even kill the animals...they are torturing the animals....like putting salt up the animals noses...tearing off their noses....sticking salt or other things up the animals butts...
if you love animals and are against animal cruelty then I would probably suggest staying away from the zoo...
danc1005 wrote:Why do you feel the need to fit cleanly into a label?
For your personal beliefs, you are opposed to the treatment of pigs, cows, etc., but not to the treatment of fish. You may not fit perfectly into a well-accepted category of "Vegan," but why should that matter?
You have your own reasons, so just do what you feel is best for you.
Nobody's going to think any more or any less of you (or if they do they're a douche-fuck) if you're a strict Vegan or just follow your own tailor-made diet.
most vegans are militant "douche-fucks"

The only thing I'm going to make fun of you two for is how inexcusably wasteful you made the whole process.
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:43 pm

Please educate me. What's wrong with sugar? ...from a vegan perspective, anyway. I'll grant you the possibility of weight gain or tooth decay issues, but I'm pretty sure sugar is not an animal product in any way.

I know there is a lot of argument about the health risks of some or all of the substitutes, but I don't really think any of them are animal products either. Though I will admit I haven't really looked into them since I haven't been inclined to use any of them (and I generally think they taste like poo).

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:10 am

From a vegan perspective, I don't know what would be wrong with it, but judging from the title of the book and the attitude of the authors I'm assuming it's just general health warnings and such.
Carbs
There is so much bulls*** around carbs now; we’ve got to set the record straight. There are two types of carbs — simple and complex. Complex carbs are not only good for you, but they’re a vital part of your diet. They consist of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes, and they should be eaten all day, every day. Simple carbs suck and should be avoided: white bread, white flour, white pasta, white rice, and white sugar. Most cookies, cakes, snacks, and processed foods are simple carbs.

So what’s a pig to do? Have her cake and eat it — just make the cake with good ingredients. Duh!

Whenever we do interviews promoting “Skinny Bitch,” we’re always asked the same questions: “What do you do when you get cravings for cookies? Or does that never happen to Skinny Bitches?” Um, we’re Skinny Bitches, not aliens! Of course we get cravings for cookies. And when we do, we eat ’em!

Unfortunately, most people have no idea that they can truly enjoy food without getting fat, sick, or sad. So it’s our pleasure (oink, oink) to educate and feed the masses. We hope you’ll love these recipes as much as we do. If you don’t, go have sex, you pervert.
To be perfectly honest, to dive into it like this just straight up cold turkey is probably not the best route.. but... *shrug*

I've had a few weird dreams where I forgot that I was a vegetarian and like right when the <insert random rotting flesh> got to my mouth I remembered and freaked out.