Colleges...and the discussion of them

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Mr. Worm
Standard
Standard

Post by Mr. Worm » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:26 pm

Most of my friends are going to Purdue to enter Engineering. I know like 20 people from my senior class, and several people who graduated last year.

The Ultimate Frisbee team! XD

I really want to go to American University, which is in D.C.
I'd major in Poly Sci with a minor in Japanese or Spanish.

If I went to an in-state school, IU would be better for my major (English).
But, it's more expensive...and Purdue's throwing money at me.
I'm waiting on IU's offers.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:30 pm

Gumby wrote:Well I am just 12 weeks away from putting a cap on my Rose-Hulman career as a chemical engineering student. I must say that my 4 years at Rose have had the ups and downs and I'll give a break down of the goods and bads.

First off, if you aren't interested in an engineering degree, don't bother coming to Rose. It's way too expensive to do anything else. But if you do want to do engineering, it is the best you can find in the midwest for an undergrad engineering degree.
I should also point out that the Math and Computer Science departments are top notch as well. We're apparently big on the NSA's list for math majors. The fact that they're so interested (for cryptographers) says something.
The very best thing about Rose is it's small size and excellent faculty to student ratio. Every single prof I've had at Rose knows my name and always will stop to chat in the hallway. Every prof I have for class is almost always available for help outside of class. Some will even give students their home numbers or be willing to answer emails from home long after they have left campus.
I've had a class with 6 students in it, including myself. We had a professor to teach the class as well as a TA to help with the nitty gritty (though I hated that particular TA, it wasn't because of academic reasons). While that's the smallest class I've had (and the donuts on Wed. mornings was nice too!), my average class size has only been around 15-20 or so. Very good student to faculty ratio (apparently it's overall around 13). On the email subject, I've actually received email from a prof after midnight before. I was impressed.
The campus is gorgeous and is outside of the smell radius of Terre Haute. It's small so the farthest possible walk on campus is still under 10 minutes.
And that's to walk from the furthest residence hall to the auditorium. I can normally get to any class in under 5 minutes.
Some see Rose's small size as a downer because you tend to know just about everyone before too long. Some say it's more like a glorified high school (only with very very challenging courses).
The bells don't help with that either (yes, there are bells), though those mostly seem to be for the benefits of the profs.

One other thing I like about Rose is that (at least in the ECE department), you're pretty much given access to stuff whenever you want if you'd like to do a personal project. That may not sound neat to some, but it's really cool if you're like me and enjoy tinkering with electronic gizmos.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:11 pm

MonMotha wrote:The bells don't help with that either (yes, there are bells), though those mostly seem to be for the benefits of the profs.
Hmm, we have the bell tower that chimes on the hour, twenty after (when most classes get out), and the half hour (when most classes start). That's not quite the same thing though...

Back in January the bell tower was struck by lightning and the circuitry was fried, so it was silent for over a month while the had it fixed. I missed it :(

Gamergirl1227
Standard
Standard

Post by Gamergirl1227 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:53 pm

i'm currently undecided about where to go next year. it will either be ball state for electronic art and animation or the illinois institute of art for game art and design. i've been accepted to both, just need to decide. either way i'd like to have a career at a game company.

Mr. Worm
Standard
Standard

Post by Mr. Worm » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:31 pm

Gamergirl1227 wrote:i'm currently undecided about where to go next year. it will either be ball state for electronic art and animation or the illinois institute of art for game art and design. i've been accepted to both, just need to decide. either way i'd like to have a career at a game company.
I can't say this enough:
BSU is a really bad place to live. The campus is dirty, gray, and depressing.
The nicest building is the parking garage next to the new music building.
The only people I know who are happy there celebrate the weekends. Hardcore-style.
Good luck, in either case.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:38 pm

Mr. Worm wrote:I can't say this enough:
The only people I know who are happy there celebrate the weekends. Hardcore-style.
I disagree. I lived on campus all four years and never really did any of the party or bar scene. I liked it just fine. But then again, I graduated in '97, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that things are different there now.

yamcha61
Standard
Standard

Post by yamcha61 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:55 pm

Gamergirl1227 wrote:i'm currently undecided about where to go next year. it will either be ball state for electronic art and animation or the illinois institute of art for game art and design. i've been accepted to both, just need to decide. either way i'd like to have a career at a game company.
Im glad somone can live out my deepest desires.

Anyways I am gonna goto BSU in the fall to major in elementary ed/ special ed. I hope it is as good as everyone says it is
What happens when you get scared half to death twice?

Usagi~Lexiel
Standard
Standard
Location: Indianapolis//Bloomington-(visits with my dad'n'such.)

Post by Usagi~Lexiel » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:04 pm

... If I don't make Juliard like I hope, or if I can't get lined up for Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland, I'm going for Ball State University. Yup.

Mr. Worm
Standard
Standard

Post by Mr. Worm » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:43 pm

Ho wrote:
I disagree. I lived on campus all four years and never really did any of the party or bar scene. I liked it just fine. But then again, I graduated in '97, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that things are different there now.
I fear that somebody's going to jump me or some cop is going to shoot me in the back.

It probably has degraded in the 8 years or so since you've been there.
It might be because I like other campuses or just because the entire Academy is a giant mass of negative energy. Probably all three, methinks.

EndlessColumn
Light
Light

Post by EndlessColumn » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:20 pm

Studying music at Butler. And not education, so I'm not even gonna have a job when I get out... 8)

I remember Malictus saying he taught theory at Butler a while back... Too bad I couldn't have been there back then.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:37 pm

Accepted and attending IU. Embrace me.

Mei-Mei
Standard
Standard

Post by Mei-Mei » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:51 pm

I'm a sophomore at Butler, studying Multimedia Arts.

I like it, for the most part. Change and Tradition I could do without. It's a huge fluff/BS class.

I considered and was accepted to DePauw and Saint Mary-of-the-Woods before I decided on Butler.

Mei-Mei
Standard
Standard

Post by Mei-Mei » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:55 pm

EndlessColumn wrote:Studying music at Butler. And not education, so I'm not even gonna have a job when I get out... 8)

I remember Malictus saying he taught theory at Butler a while back... Too bad I couldn't have been there back then.
Man, who are you!!? ^^ A fellow bulldog, har har. Oh, you know Mulholland? He's a great guy and I believe he teaches theory. You prolly know him though, heh. I used to be in University Choir. Were you at the Spring Sports DDR thing?

BladeFist87
Standard
Standard

Post by BladeFist87 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:57 pm

Mr. Worm wrote:
Ho wrote:
I fear that somebody's going to jump me

Though I am going to BSU, for that reason I will have a knife on me at all times when I'm walking around...that was some scary shit that went donw last year up there...

And the answer is: Yes, I did in fact, jack this idea from OrangeLounger. Booya.

Ryan Dognaux
Standard
Standard

Post by Ryan Dognaux » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:50 am

Dang, lots of Purdue bashing going on here. I would agree though - if you're not going for engineering or something technological... go somewhere else.

Purdue's campus is nice, I like brick ^_^

Still can't wait.
Ryan Dognaux
My Life