Name your phobia

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

bunnydreams
Standard
Standard

Post by bunnydreams » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:52 pm

Aichmophobia- Fear of Needles

Autophobia- Fear of being Alone

Arachnophobia- Fear of Spiders

Selachophobia- Fear of Sharks

Lilapsophobia- Fear of Tornadoes

HAHAHA THIS IS HILARIOUS..

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words.

..Sir you have...Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia...*person runs away* NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
:O

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:46 pm

Just so you know...
Mirriam-Webster wrote: an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation
Having a phobia is more than just being afraid for bugs, or not liking tall buildings. Phobias are psychological disorders that prevent people from functioning normally on a day to day basis. Often times the phobia causing intense and irrational fear.

There are some things humans are naturally afraid of, but those aren't inexplicable or illogical. That being said, I don't think I have any phobias.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:13 pm

Yeah...Honestly, I don't know why I'm so afraid of spiders. I just am, can't do a damn thing about it. :shock:

TylerHHS
Standard
Standard

Post by TylerHHS » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:41 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Just so you know...
Mirriam-Webster wrote: an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation
Having a phobia is more than just being afraid for bugs, or not liking tall buildings. Phobias are psychological disorders that prevent people from functioning normally on a day to day basis. Often times the phobia causing intense and irrational fear.

There are some things humans are naturally afraid of, but those aren't inexplicable or illogical. That being said, I don't think I have any phobias.
Same here, I just get uneasy when I'm up high and exposed.

dancing queen iu
Standard
Standard

Post by dancing queen iu » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:49 pm

Phobias don't necesarily block ordinary function, but they are related to hypertension and many psychological disorders, such as DSI Axis 2 schizoidal, schizotypal and schizophrenic personality disorders.

DQIU = nerd
I'm IndyDDR's Favourite #1 Bitch

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:58 pm

Yeah, good point. The DSM IV is a great source for information on that kinda stuff.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:38 pm

I am scared of newegg's new site disign. I want to cry.
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Pink Pheonix
Standard
Standard

Post by Pink Pheonix » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:50 pm

Agoraphobia- fear of crowds or open spaces, anywhere without a safe place
Arachnephobia- Spiders(and scorpians, i used to go to arizona alot)
Astraphobia- fear of thunder and lightening
Pharmacophobia- fear of taking medication
Lilapsophobia- and fear of tornadoes

Yup, that sums it up.
One time, at Latvian camp...

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:18 pm

I know that I'm only reiterating what Original Sin said, but Fluffyumpkins is right.

I know why I'm uncomfortable standing on ladders and such. I know that if I fall from somewhere very high, I will most inevitably die. If I fall from somewhere much closer to ground, I know that I'll hurt myself and be put up for a while. I don't like the idea of pain, hence I don't like the thought of falling from something that I can avoid.

I can't explain the ladybugs, though. I've never been comfortable around them, but the real fear for them started when I was about twelve (am nineteen now). When they come out in the spring and summer, they seem to congregate at my house. When there's too many of them, you sometimes couldn't pay me enough to leave my house. And when I go outside with them out there, I layer up. The middle of the hottest day in August, and I'll be out there in pants and a hoodie over my shorts and tank top just so that when I get in my car, I can peel the outer clothes off and stash them in the back to where, if something got on me, I could keep it away from me.

I remember going out one day to take pictures of vases and an oil lamp for my photography class. When I came into the garage, I was setting down the vases when my mom mentioned how many ladybugs I had all over my shirt. I had a panic attack and passed out. Broke three vases and terrified my family.
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.