[Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: [Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:13 pm

Really excited for the inevitable collapse of my weed stock portfolio! Look at the stock ticker for CGC, it's chart is basically a vertical wall over the last few weeks on virtually nothing but hype. I don't know how the eff people can trade stocks, it seems like it's all guessing and hedging your bets and just praying that one of your horses in the race performs way above expectations and you cash out before it all goes to shit.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:40 pm

Day trading is basically gambling. You're looking for "advantage" over the house that's inherent in the "game" and trying to exploit it, then you leave the table when you no longer have "advantage".

Buy and hold is a whole different ballgame. You're not going to get the kind of crazy returns you can day trading, but you also are unlikely to see the crazy losses you can day trading unless your strategy resembles day trading with a longer time horizon (that's super dumb).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:14 am

How does retirement funding work when you're self-employed on contract work? Do you have some sort of IRA that you dump money into every month or do you have "a guy" that you invest X amount of money every so often and they manage it for you?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:05 am

Well, you have to essentially set up everything yourself, but the same retirement vehicles are available to you that are available to any other company to set up.

The simplest is to have a personal IRA (ROTH or Traditional) and then have your company provide either an SEP or SIMPLE IRA if/when the contribution limits of the personal IRA become a problem.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:07 am

Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:04 pm

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:20 pm

so It's not just me who's been getting BOMBARDED on youtube with norm macdonald video recommendations? I hadn't heard about the guy since the early 2000's, then bam this last month it's every other video on youtube
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:11 am

He has a new show that comes out today or tomorrow on Netflix so I'm guessing someone paid a lot of money to Youtube to shill and recommend Norm MacDonald videos because our national GDP is like 80% ads or something ridiculous welcome to TYOOL 2018